My mum used to make Sulu Köfte when I was younger. But, I have never had a chance to get the recipe. I got the recipe from Şebnem. She is from Mersin, south of Turkey. The recipe might be authentic for that region.
Myself, I quite like bulgur. Because of that, I am quite keen trying all those recipes which have bulgur as ingredients.
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time : 20 min
Serves for : 4 persons
- 250gr minced beef
- 250gr fine bulgur
- 1 onion
- 1 egg
- Pepper, salt
- 1 table spoon flour
- Dry mint, tomatoe paste, olive oil for the sauce.
- Half lemon juice
- Grate the onion. To be able to have a nice mix, you need onion is choped or grated very fine.
- Put minced meat and bulgur in a bowl and crack the egg on top.
- Add grated onion, salt and pepper.
- Now, you can knead the mixture like you make a dough.
- Add flour and keep on kneading.
- When you have nice and smooth mix, you can stop kneading.
- Now, you can make small balls about 0.5cm diameter. If you can not make the balls right, you can make your hand wet and try to make the balls. It will help not to mix stick on your hands.
- Put the balls on a try, sprinkle some flour on the try before you put the little balls. It will stop them sticking to the tray.
- When you finish making balls, you can get sauce ready.
- Put the olive oil in a big pan, and heat up.
- Then, add tomatoe paste, bit of salt, pepper and mint.
- Fry it gently and then add hot water about 2lt.
- When the sauce starts to get boil, you can add all the small bulgur balls into the sauce.
- You need to cook it about 20min until the bulur balls gets cooked.
- You can serve Sulu Köfte with a slice of bread and some lemon juice on top.